Skip to content
- 1) Separate from actual performance- what he or she does while producing or comprehending language. In other words, competence is put to use through performance.
- 2) In actual driving, however, the driver has to relate the Code to a continuous flow of changing circumstances, and may even break it from time to time.
- 3) An analogy can be made to the Highway Code for driving. Drivers know the Code and have indeed been tested on it to obtain a driving license.
- 4) Knowing the Highway Code is not the same as driving.
- 5) In language learning, there is a distinction between competence and performance. Competence is a state of the speaker's mind. What does he or she know?