Skip to content
- 1. I have over and over again introduced ants from one my nets into another nest of the same species; and they were invariably attacked, seized by a leg or an antenna, and dragged out.
- 2. It is evident, therefore, that the ants of each community all recognize one another, which is very remarkable.
- 3. The communities of ants are sometimes very large, numbering even to 500,000 individuals.
- 4. However, they are in hostility not only with most other insects, including ants of different species, but even with those of the same species if belonging to different communities.
- 5. And it is a lesson to us that no one has ever yet seen quarrel between any two ants belonging to the same community.