Skip to content
- 1. In 1992 a retired engineer in San Diego contracted a rare brain disease that wiped out his memory.
- 2. Studies of this man led scientists to a breakthrough: the part of our brains where habits are stored has nothing to do with memory or reason.
- 3. It offered proof of what the US psychologist William James noticed more than a century ago- humans “are mere walking bundles of habits”.
- 4. Yet whenever he was hungry he got up and propelled himself straight to the kitchen to get something to eat.
- 5. Every day he was asked where the kitchen was in his house, and every day he didn’t have the foggiest idea.