Skip to content
- 1) Second, and more important, the Arcelor Mittal deal demonstrates Europe’s deepening integration into the global economy.
- 2) The story tells us two things about European business, both positive.
- 3) First, shareholder activism is increasing in a continent where until recently it was depressingly rare.
- 4) It was taken over by Mittal, a Dutch-registered company run from London by its biggest single shareholder, Lakshmi Mittal, an Indian who started his first business in Indonesia.
- 5) The takeover battle raged for six months before Arcelor’s bosses finally listened to shareholders who wanted the board to accept Mittal's third offer.