Skip to content
- 1. Numerous other major irregularities diversify the Atlantic floor.
- 2. Closely spaced soundings show that many parts of the oceanic floors are as rugged as mountainous regions of the continents.
- 3. The topography of the ocean floors is none too well known, since in great areas the available soundings are hundreds or even thousands of miles apart.
- 4. However, the floor at the Atlantic is becoming fairly well known as a result of special surveys since 1920.
- 5. A broad, well-defined ridge- the Mid-Atlantic ridge- runs north and south between Africa and the two Americas.