Skip to content
- 1) However, the floor of the Atlantic is becoming fairly well known as a result of special surveys since 1920.
- 2) The topography of the ocean floors is none too well known, since in great areas the available soundings are hundreds or even thousands of miles apart.
- 3) A broad, well-defined ridge-the Mid-Atlantic ridge-runs north and south between Africa and the two Americas.
- 4) Numerous other major irregularities diversify the Atlantic floor.
- 5) Closely spaced soundings show that many parts of the oceanic floors are rugged as mountainous regions of the continents.