Skip to content
- 1) Many think the best way to make foreigners understand is to be chatty and informal.
- 2) Anyone wanting to get to the top of international business, medicine or academia (but possibly not sport) needs to be able to speak English to a pretty high level.
- 3) This may seem friendly but, as it probably involves using colloquial expressions, it makes comprehension harder.
- 4) Equally, any native English speaker wanting to deal with these new high achievers needs to know how to talk without baffling them.
- 5) Because so many English-speakers today are monoglots, they have little idea how difficult it is to master another language.